Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Moving On

Written on 11-10-17 and 11-16-17

The last day. April 1st, 2003-November 16th, 2017. Roughly 14 years, 6 months and 23 days. AKA 5,313 days. Only a bit of time. I never expected this day to come. As the date approached, I expected something to fall through. Something bad to happen just like all the other houses had. Now, on the eve of our departure, it's finally starting to sink in. A new chapter of my life starts tomorrow; a brand
new beginning.

       I'll miss the house, man. 14 1/2 years spent dwelling in it's comforting rooms, 13 winters spent sledding by day, and curling up next to the wood-stove by night. 14 summers enjoying the nature that surrounded my siblings and I. Times relaxing on the porch, shaded under the umbrella; or flying high in our rickety old swing set. Those things are gone now, but their memories will always be a part of me, no matter where I am on life's journey.

      I'll miss my bedroom- the solitude and comfort unmatched- with many a stuffed animal reenactment. I'll miss the schoolroom; hours spent talking to strangers, then to friends. The battles against my brother, meme competitions with my sister, the faithful hum of my computer never
ceasing; (unless it broke) staying resolute.

      I'll miss the new-years eve parties with close friends. Hours upon hours of board games, ratty old console titles, popping open a bottle of sparkling cider to celebrate the start of something new. I'll miss the feeling of community and safety knowing I would always have a home here. I'll miss late-night text conversations with my best friend. Sprawled out on my bed, feeling at peace with myself as I typed away, holding nothing back. Being happy, something I might never exactly feel again. Sure, things change; people move on, but I will never truly leave this house.

      I had the pleasure of going on a walk tonight. A path traveled many times by me and my folks; sometimes altogether, other times alone. Tonight I was alone. In the pressing fog and near-pitch darkness, I walked. Retracing my steps from when I was a baby, then a toddler, then a kid, to finally now, a 14-year old teenager. Memories flashed before my eyes as I continued my journey. Good times, bad times, and some times where I'm not quite sure what happened. I felt as if I went back in time, remembering moments I had long-since forgotten.

       I could sense tears about to make an appearance, especially when walking by my childhood landmarks. On each street I passed on my return, I would stand resolute, facing the road. I silently thanked God for the opportunity to know these amazing people, and moved on. I finally reached my street. I slowly walked around our cul-de-sac, pausing briefly in front of each house in a state of sadness and faithfulness. I knew each family on that street, spent time with all of them as they watched me grow, knowing that I would likely never see them again. With my eyes stinging, I turned to the final house, my home. Words failed. An overcoming rush of emotion surged through me, desperately trying to break through. I would not let it. I must stay strong. So, after taking one last mental picture, I slowly walked up the driveway and entered my house.

      My biggest regret.A walk through the unknown, dubbed the great adventure. Discovered many years back, it was a getaway in times of trouble, and a vast journey to undertake. I wish with all my heart that I could traipse through the woods one last time with my friend who found it with me.

      So, one chapter draws to a close, and a new chapter springs forth. I'm taking a leap of faith, knowing that my friends are there to catch me if I don't make it. Memories fade, good times are forgotten,so remember to treasure what you have and never let it go.



No comments:

Post a Comment